Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A Big Announcement

This post is going to be a personal, and definitely a bitter-sweet one.

I know I don't talk about my family much here but we do have young children at home, and like many working parents, I have found myself struggling more and more with finding a good work/life balance.  Especially in the past couple of years I have felt that my working has become something that has made it harder for me to be the best parent I can be - and so, I have decided to take an extended and indefinitely leave of absence from photography.  I honestly don't know how long it will be - at least a couple of years I would imagine - but I do know that this is something that needs to be done.  In 20 years when I look back on this time in our lives, I'm not going to wish I had worked more.  I'm going to either wish I had spent more time with our kids and our family or I'm going to be glad I made the choices I could to be there as much as possible.  (And I'm so lucky to have an amazing husband who didn't even hesitate in voicing his support when I brought this up to him - even though he will now be the sole bread winner in our family)  And so, this will be my last blog post, at least for awhile....a long while I would imagine.

I am very grateful for having had the opportunity to work as a photographer and to run my own business over the past 10 years.  I have had so much fun and have been able to meet so many wonderful people.  From being a part of a Mardi Gras parade in a small Texas border town to leaving a wedding reception in a helicopter, I have had so many incredible experiences I wouldn't have had otherwise.  So many of the families and couples who have come to me as strangers I now consider to be not just clients but also friends.  Thank you to all of you for your support and for allowing me to be a part of some of the most important events in your lives.


2 comments:

Roberto said...

Congratulations on your decision, Emily. I believe family is one of the greatest gifts we have and not spending quality time with them could turn become our biggest regret. You can always come back to photography as a job, your pictures show much talent. Besides, you won't get rusty because now you will have constant opportunities to make great pictures of your family, which, I'm sure, will be a big source of great joy and happy memories!

Greetings from Mexico.

emily alexander said...

Thanks for your kinds words Roberto. I appreciate them!